Southern Water are a private utility company who provide water and wastewater services across Kent, Sussex, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight.
THE BUSINESS REQUIREMENT
Southern Water have a complex programme of works to deliver, with a continuous stream of live projects diverse with variety, and were using MS Excel spreadsheets, alongside other disparate pieces of software, to track and monitor project financials and progress.
In 2012 when the relationship with Asset Handling ltd began, there were project management files in over 1,000 project folders and the portfolio reporting used an extensive system of macros and interlinked files, which made detailed data analysis of projects difficult.
The requirement was to provide a system which could streamline the process and documentation into a single source.
THE ASSET HANDLING SOLUTION
Programme Insight Manager (PIM) holds all the project data in a single system and provides real time data alongside predictive data analysis, supporting the management of processes, risk, cost and resources for each project and at all levels within the business.
The information within the PIM system is entered in one of three ways;
1. Financials; VOWD and Forecast, from SAP
2. Schedule, Location, and Metadata (e.g. FPM, PM name, QBEG split, Operations Manager etc.) from Primavera P6.
3. Monthly Narrative and Risk Registers entered directly into PIM
Individual projects in PIM are grouped under an Enterprise Project Structure (EPS) to enable drill down and reporting. Each EPS level can record;
1. Risk Register
3. Financial Data
4. Schedule Data
Asset Handling worked alongside Southern Water to implement the system gradually over a period of time, transferring data from numerous sources into the software.
1. An industry designed tool, pre-built reports and simple analytics
2. Provides key information directly to Project Managers
3. Reduces the need for tracking spreadsheets and offline data
4. Allows drill down from Portfolio to Department to Project
o Project Expenditure
o Timing of deliverables
o Progress Commentary
6. Provides a Single Source of truth for Project Data;
o Progress commentary
o Names – PM, Sponsor, Designer
o Regulator references for reporting
o Key dates
or call: 0845 075 5886
or email: [email protected]